Thursday, February 11, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday Cook Off



















Let me start by saying, I had a wicked hangover on Sunday and I am lucky that I made it out of the house. My Super Bowl food competition entry was lacking the love that I usually put into these types of things. That said, my entry might not have been the best, but it was damn good.

I was not able to get full details on all dishes, but did my best (I was too busy self medicating my hangover with Vodka and Diet Coke).


Prior to the competition, the first entry was the one that was keeping me up at night, my cousin Jim’s. He did not disappoint. Jim’s entry was the legendary Bacon Explosion that we have all read about on the Internet football season after football season, but never had the guts to make.


This blood pressure raising, artery clogging beast was sliced and served between two fluffy biscuits.

Entry number two belonging to my mom, who was participating for the first time in a revered family cook off was a delicious mini-corn dog served at the end of a skewer that looked like a prop from the movie Braveheart. This strong contender featured a light and fluffy corn batter with three different dipping sauces; ketchup, honey mustard and horseradish mustard.

The third entry was a lovely rack of ribs cooked by my Aunt Mary Ann. I am not sure what type of BBQ sauce was used, (was to busy with my “Skinny Bitches” to ask, refer to paragraph 2) but my taste buds tell me Jack Daniels. Everyone loves a rib that falls off the bone.

Entry number four came from the first ever two time challenge winner (Thanksgiving Stuffing and Christmas Potato Challenges) none other then The Hamkeeper himself. I had a lot to live up to based on my past success and without a doubt wore a bull’s-eye on my head. I decided to go with a classic crowd pleaser, the Mini Wagu Beef Slider with Big Mac (not so secret) Secret Sauce on a Pepperidge Farm Slider Bun, with Yellow American Cheese and a dill hamburger chip. This is my Brother Dylan’s favorite sans cheese so I had to make him a few without.

And now for a drum roll please….. Last but not least entry number five, our winner and bar food/appetizer favorite everywhere, the Potato Skin. This entry featured my new favorite cheese, Pimento and of course bacon. The winner was my sister Margaret who I have since emailed to get her thoughts and recipe for this tremendous app. in case any of you are interested in trying.



Kudos to those who chose to enter and make an already competitive day even more so with our winner winning by the slimmest margin yet, 1 vote, while 3 entries were tied for second and 1 for third…



Big Mac Secret Sauce Recipe

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=65&agree=yes

1 comment:

  1. I'll take one bacon explosion with a side of those tasty ribs to-go.

    ReplyDelete