Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"OUT WITH AL"

This is the first of many to come of “Out With Al”, a segment in which a friend who has local knowledge of a food they feel should be noted on “The Caged Ham” will suggest and accompany me on my culinary journey. We will get an insiders take on local favorites, mouth watering childhood memories, late night spots, etc
My first journey took place with Montclair ’s finest, John aka “Fowl Ball” aka “Ball” of Nicco’s chicken salad sandwich fame. John, a fire fighter is a life long resident of Montclair and knows good food. As I have said in the past ask a fire fighter where to find good food, just don’t ask them who has the best pizza. As much as this hurts I will admit John whoops my ass on the golf course on most days and I am the one buying drinks at the end of the round. Working two days a week during the warm months can do wonders for a guy’s swing (sorry I had to throw that in).

Back to the trip at hand, the cuisine burgers. The spot, the legendary Tierney’s Tavern at136-138 Valley Rd. in Montclair where I once told my wife I would never eat as much as a peanut at when she told me years ago they had a good burger. For those of you who have never been this is a low down dirty old school tavern that opened in 1934 and looks it. John has been coming to Tierney’s since he was a boy, making trips with his friend Billy’s father. Now John makes frequent trips whether a burger is involved or a just a post golf round victory drink. Don’t expect to get waitress service at lunch time. To be honest I am not sure if you can actually get it anytime but the friendly gentleman tending bar does all and from what I understand they all take turns in the kitchen.

We started with a nice basket of crispy wings served with hot sauce and blue cheese on the side. The wings were not hot but they were tasty. For our main course we ordered bacon cheese burgers (med) and well done fries. When our burgers came out the first thing that I noticed is that the burger is a great size, I would guess about 6oz and cooked to perfection. On top was a nice amount of bacon not too much to overpower the burger, a slice of American cheese (other options were available) served on a perfect fitting bun and accompanied by fries, which based on local knowledge must be cooked well done in order to achieve a crisp exterior. This juicy BCB was fresh tasting and my guess would be it is chuck, 80-20 the ONLY way to go. However I didn’t think the fries made a big impact.

The $5.50 for this hamburger was well worth it. If you are in the area and looking for a beer and a burger while a non-pretentious crowd of local characters hang at the bar this is the place for you.


I would give the Tierney’s burger 3HAMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment