Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Have NO Self Control

I try not to make a habit of eating like a complete animal at lunch but sometimes I just can’t control myself. One of these times occurred recently when I was in the former town of pizza master Scott from Scott’s pizza tours, who may be more excited about pizza then any man alive or even dead for that matter. If you are looking for something fun to do, this is a must (http://www.scottspizzatours.com/).


Long story short I was in the "Boken" and texted Scott, who was on a two week tour of the US eating pizza and doing pizza related things (told you he was crazy for pizza) to ask his professional opinion on where and what to eat. I use to live in Hoboken during my bachelor days, but was looking for something off the beaten path. O boy did he deliver. The place he suggested is Delfino’s Pizzeria at 500 Jefferson St. , an old school hole in the wall that plays homage to all actors Italian, from the cast of The Sopranos, to fellow Hobokenites, Frank Sinatra and Danny Aiello.

For the first time in the last 10 months I wasn’t at a pizzeria to eat the pizza I was there to eat, drum roll please………………..The Fried Calzone! And yes it is exactly what it sounds like a Fried Calzone, a tad bigger then my open hand. This fluffy fried dough had and explosion of ricotta cheese and ham flying out of the opening like price “Rollbacks” at Wal-Mart on Black Friday and a crust that tasted similar to the “Pizza Frites” from St. Ann ’s Festa in Raritan (I will get back to that in June) was served with a side a marinara sauce. Although it was nice mixture of mozzarella with ricotta and ham I think I had my fill of lunch time cholesterol for a while and can’t see myself rushing back anytime soon. However if you are looking for something a little different then your usual Washington Avenue greasy food spots then give it shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment