Friday, July 9, 2010

It is the Shit!


Delorenzo’s in Robbinsville is hands down the best pizza in the state and we all know I have been to quite a few pizzerias in my day… What else do I need to say to convince you? Go ahead throw your comments out there, I am waiting... Star (bar pie made with cheap ingredients, but has a great taste), it’s not on the same level, not even close (my wife does not agree). In fairness to her Star does deserve credit where it is due and is the best of its type of pizza.
San Marzano this; wood fired that…. De Lorenzo’s breaks all the rules. This “Tomato Pie” as it’s known in that area of New Jersey is loaded with flavor. The crust is cooked to perfection; the cheese is nothing fancy but is damn good. As for the sauce, let me tell you something about this sauce, it is where things get tricky, the sauce is a chunky fresh out of the garden sauce stepped on a few times then put on the pie OVER the cheese...
You can’t beat this sauce! Yes it’s strange but my guess is that’s why it’s called a “Tomato Pie”. The crust is nice and crisp and the sauce on top keeps the cheese from burning (I am not sure if that’s true but it makes sense). There is nothing fancy about the oven, Delorenzo’s uses a gas fired Blogget Oven. You ask, what the hell does that mean? Well it’s the same gas fired oven they are using down the street and at many other places. So why can’t they get it right? Great question, Pizza takes time and love and you can taste the difference these two special ingredients make. They are not selling to school kids on lunch break who could give two shits what it taste like or how long something was sitting in the freezer or on the shelf.
They actually don’t even open till 4, so don’t even consider trying to beat the dinner crowds by going at lunchtime. You are sure to run into an owner at each of the locations they have. In fact on my last visit the owner asked how I been and I told him that each time I visit I sit waiting for my pizza and wonder if it will be as good as I remember and it is always better, which is a great feeling! Long story, short give this place a try it is worth the drive and the wait. If you don’t like it bring me the leftovers, in fact if you don’t like it you should stop eating za’ period…
On a final note, I had a special reason to make this trip, my brother Dylan, who I learned is a little lead footed (he drove) just graduated from HS and is headed to Villanova in August. Dylan is a great student and is an awesome brother who I am very proud of. I wish him all the best when he leaves the nest. What a rhyme! I’ve been raving about Delorenzo’s to him for years and all he wanted after graduation was for a true pizza expert like myself to take him to Delorenzo’s to talk him through the process and make sure we don’t slip up when we order. We went with a cheese pie or in this case a “Tomato Pie” and a half sausage/ half roni pie. BTW, the sausage is second to NONE.
PS-Don’t forget the pitcher of birch. Gook luck Dylan!

No comments:

Post a Comment