Tuesday, May 18, 2010

You want the best pizza in Hoboken? Go to Jersey City.

The awesome Pizza Patrol Crew voted the Margherita Pie at

LA RUSTIQUE the best in New Jersey!

Address: 84 1/2 Morris Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302 (near Exchange Place)

Phone: 201-860-4010

Hours: Mon-Fri 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sat-Sun 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Payment: Cash and all major credit cards

The first time I tried this pizza I was blown away by how damn good it was. Surprisingly the best pies I tasted had sauce over the cheese as opposed to the norm of cheese over sauce. Some examples of this are the Palermo Pie at La Sicilia, L&B Spumoni Gardens (which is worthy of it’s own blog, just ask anyone in Brooklyn about L&B and they will tell you it is the best square pie EVER!!) DeLorenzo’s also has some sauce on top, as does Mr. Bruno’s square in Lyndhurst.

The reason La Rustique puts the sauce on top is so the low moisture, homemade mozzarella does not burn and turn brown. Some mozzarella companies put an additive in cheese for it to stay white (I find nothing wrong with the cheese turning brown). They also use San Marzano Tomatoes which I have said before and will most definitely say again are the best tomatoes used for pizza. They have great flavor, are not too sweet and hold up well on their own. Most of the time nothing is added to them and they not cooked before they are put on the pizza.

My second trip to La Rustique was on a whim as the awesome Jersey City pizza truck was not parked at 3 Harbor Side (I love the grandma pie they turn out) so I shot over to La Rustique. I luckily found a spot right across the street, being that it was 12:30 there were long lunch lines all over the place. Two fat men were eating on the lone table out front and when I walked in the side door a tumble weed blew out. The entire place was empty. That’s not a good sign. So go out and get a pie while it’s still open. Hopefully they get a big dinner crowd!

I found the pie, although still delicious may have slipped a little but trust me this pie had room to slip, which can’t be said about most. The pizza had a great texture and the San Marzano tomatoes give it a huge punch, it was cooked very well but I admittedly did find a few soggy spots that I thought tasted great. A slice of this pie will run you $3.00 but take a look at this behemoth. It might as well be $2.00. Long story short if you are in JC or anywhere in Hudson County for that matter, go give this pizza a shot. It’s damn good.


I give it 3 ½ hams.




No comments:

Post a Comment